Merrill E. Swanson
Bachelor of Science Degree in Agricultural Economics, emphasis on Real Estate, Texas A&M University; 1986
Master of Agriculture Degree in Land Economics and Real Estate, Texas A&M University; 1988
License Number: TX-1325511-G
Successfully completed the following courses offered by the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers:
- Principles of Rural Appraisal (Exam A-20), February 1994.
- Advanced Rural Appraisal (Exam A-30), July 1994.
- Highest and Best Use (Exam A-29), April 1995.
- Eminent Domain (Exam A-25), April 1995.
- Appraisal Report Writing (Exam A-15), July 1995.
- Standards and Ethics (Par 1) (Exam A-12), October 1997.
- Managing Lease Hunting and Fishing Enterprises, November 2004
- Conservation Easements and Other Partial Interests in Real Estate, June 2009
- Wind Powered Electric Generators and Their Impact on Land Ownership, April 2010
- Appraising Natural Resources, October 2011
- Texas Hill Country Vineyard Valuation Seminar, February 2013
Successfully completed the following courses offered by the American Institute of Real Estate Appraisers:
- Basic Valuation Procedures (Exam 1A-2), 1990.
- Real Estate Appraisal Principles (Exam 1A-1), 1990.
- Capitalization Theory and Techniques Part A (Exam 1BA), September 1991.
- Standards of Professional Practice (Exam SPP), February 1993.
Presently and since August 1989, Merrill E. Swanson has been actively engaged as an appraiser with Valbridge Property Advisors | San Antonio, formerly Dugger, Canaday, Grafe, Inc. He is a Partner and serves as Senior Managing Director in the firm.
Valuation focus includes large, high profile agricultural properties. Farm and ranch valuation experience includes rice, cotton and grain farms, working and recreational ranches, undivided interests and conservation easements in rural properties and special purpose agribusiness properties. Agribusiness properties appraised include grain handling and drying facilities, fertilizer plants, cotton gins, large wholesale plant nurseries, cattle feedlots, horse breeding and training operations, etc. Rural land appraised ranges from small properties to ranches in excess of 100,000 acres.
Other valuation experience includes industrial and commercial land in metropolitan areas plus commercial real estate in smaller cities throughout Texas.
Mr. Swanson’s primary trade area includes South and Central Texas, the Texas Gulf Coast and West Texas. Appraisals have been prepared in all major land resource regions in Texas. Additional out of state experience includes valuation counseling regarding land in the Southeast United States.
Clients served include attorneys, commercial lending institutions and trust departments, major insurance companies, governmental banking entities, estates, individuals, land investors, mortgage companies, conservation groups and the National Park Service.
Early career real estate experience includes positions as (1) Leasing Agent of office-warehouse space, William N. Carl Company, Houston, Texas (1986) and (2) Land Market Research Assistant, Raymond R. Betz Interests, Inc., Houston, Texas (1987).
Mr. Swanson is a native of the Texas Gulf Coast from El Campo with family farming and ranching interests in Wharton and Goliad Counties.
Professional Affiliations Include the Following Organizations:
- Accredited Member, American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers, (ASFMRA), ARA - Certificate No. 1107; July 1998
- Texas State Certified General Real Estate Appraiser in Texas (License No. TX-1325511-G)
- ASFMRA National Association - First Vice President, Executive Council (2013/2014). Co-Chair Government Relations Committee (2011 to present). Executive Council, District V Vice President (Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas and Oklahoma) (2007-2009)
- Texas Chapter, ASFMRA – President (2004); Officer (2002-2003); Board Member (2000-2001; 2005)
- Texas Alliance of Land Brokers (TALB) – President (2005); Officer (2004); Secretary/Treasurer 2009; Board Member Director (2000 to 2003; 2006-2008)
- Texas Real Estate Broker - License No. 376017 (2002); Salesman (1986)